I started this a few months back, when I thought I might be pregnant. I wasn't. I wrote a few long posts about what was going on and how I was feeling, but after the big disappointment I deleted everything.

Well now guess what? It's for real this time, at least so far. I've taken two tests, both positive, and by my own calculations baby will be coming on 12/12/12. That makes me about 5.5 weeks right now.

Right now this is all private, as we have only told our parents the news. When the news goes public, I might make this public too. I thought it might be nice to have a blog separate from my usual personal blog just for this little project we'll be working on for the next 8 months. I do plan on doing something cute to announce to the virtual world, maybe involving scrabble tiles.

Anyway, here's what's going on so far.

I feel great. I haven't thrown up since junior high, and that was more than 10 years ago. I've had slight nausea for the past week, but just very very slight. Nothing to complain about. Also I've been wanting more salty foods than sweet foods for some reason, mostly just today. I may have some slight smell sensitivity. The worm bin at the environmental nonprofit I work for a few hours a week did not smell very good last week. I've been pretty tired, but I don't know that that is out of the ordinary. I fell asleep at 7:30 pm the other day, and in the middle of the day today for an hour at most. I've also been inclined to wear more supportive underwear, if you catch my meaning, and have had two instances of slight heartburn. I'm prone to heartburn anyway, so I just restocked my Tums supply!

I'm expecting to not feel so good starting next week. This is going to be tough, since I work full time. I have to leave for work around 6:40 am, and usually eat either in the car or at my desk, so I've  been up for an hour or more already. This routine will probably have to change.

Meanwhile, there is still a 10% chance of miscarriage (according to the internet). I'm not counting on anything, and just hoping and praying that everything goes smoothly and without complications. Speaking of complications, we're trying to plan a trip to Germany for September. I thought we could get trip insurance to cover an unexpected cancellation due to a pregnancy complication, but it turns out there is a very specific list of complications that qualify, so that's out. I think we'll go ahead with the trip anyway, taking the $2,500 risk. I really hope I'm able to go, I would love to get one last international trip before baby comes!

Oh, and I had to cancel major foot surgery. I was scheduled to have a bunionectomy, hammer toe correction, and toe shortening on May 17th, but when I called this week they said they don't operate on pregnant women. That's actually how I told my parents. I said, "I canceled my foot surgery." Mom asked why. I responded that they don't operate on pregnant women. She said, "And you think you might be pregnant?" I said, "I am pregnant." She was so excited, it was really fun! I think my dad is excited too, but he was more reserved about it. When we told A's parents, we didn't even have to say it outright. He just said, "We actually came over here because we have some news." I smiled, he smiled, his mom looked at me questioningly, I kept smiling. Then we all hugged.

Before I knew I was pregnant, I was hoping to lose some weight, about ten pounds. Now I don't feel good about trying to lose weight, since I probably should be gaining. I think I'll just try to continue eating healthily and try to exercise more throughout the pregnancy. I really want to be one of those women that works hard and bounces back quickly from the baby weight gain.

Lastly, our first doctor's appointment is scheduled for May 11th, the Friday before Mother's Day. They didn't say on the phone, but I hope they will listen for a heartbeat then! I'll be 9 week at that time. I think we'll tell the rest of the family after that appointment. If my due date calculation is correct (though I actually think it is a bit early) we'll find out the baby's gender in early July. Crazy! I secretly kind of want a girl. It will probably be a boy just because I said that. And we'll be happy, either way.

Comments

Popular Posts