school is in.

Here are some events from my first day of the semester:

I was late. Feeling anxious about waiting for the direct train from Sandy to the U, I got on a regular Salt Lake train, which came at 7:07 instead of 7:15. I had ridden my bike to trax, with a pannier strapped on holding all my stuff. This made the back significantly heavier than I'm used to. My leg got all greasy, but luckily I'd rolled up my pant leg.

In my second class, we talked about our Germany trip, and I got very excited. I was proclaimed the designated driver of the class, even though we won't be driving in Germany, since even though I can legally drink in Germany, I may be the only person on the trip that won't be. Also, we leave on the first day of Oktoberfest. I'm not sure if this is good or too bad.

After class I sat outside and ate my lunch. Someone came to sit by my with a big fat cigarette, so I left.

In the library, I ran into someone I knew from high school. It was potentially awkward, but turned out okay.

I then tried to read, but ended up taking a nap until two guys came and sat by me. They thought I was a freshman. They were sophomores. I laughed, since I'm older than both of them, married, and thought they looked like freshmen. They talked with me until they had to go to class, I think they were late. That was a little more than an hour ago, and I still have an hour and a half till my next class, a total of a 6 1/2 hour break. Later on this will be time to work on homework, for now it is time to be bored.

There are a lot of freshmen. You can tell who they are because they are highly overdressed, some even in high heels and miniskirts. That won't last too much longer. They also walk with their noses glued to their schedules.

Riding my bike today at school was frustrating. They have painted lines on half the sidewalks on campus indicating bike lanes, but everyone ignores them. I usually try to stay off them, but now that I've been the person on the bike, I am going to try a lot harder. It is especially frustrating because everyone is staring at their phones texting, or talking on their phones, plus they all have headphones on, so they can't even hear bicycles coming. Most also do not walk in a straight line. I had a few close calls, but luckily no one was hurt.

A word to all those walking on campus: stay off the bike paths please! When your path crosses one, look both ways for bikes, it is much easier for you to stop than it is for them. Just be aware that you are not the only person out there.

Comments

Popular Posts