practice what you preach

As a planning student, and general trying-to-make-the-world-a-better-place person, I'm a big advocate for driving less and walking/biking/public transiting more. For the past two school years, I've driven my car 3 minutes to the train station (which is on my street) and ridden the train to school and sometimes work. Starting this week, I've finally taken the plunge, and am trying to use my car as little as possible. Part of it is the trying-to-make-the-world-a-better-place part of me, the other part is the gas-is-really-expensive part.

Monday I rode my bike, as I posted about earlier. When I got home, my leg was greasy and my shirt was sticking to my back. The next morning my arms, neck and shoulders were sore and tired from trying to hold onto my bike and not fall over on the train. It was not so pleasant, but the riding part was great.

Yesterday and today, I walked. Walking to the station isn't so bad. It is usually morning, and very cool. The way home is another story. It is usually hot, and I feel sticky and yucky and uncomfortable. It is going to be hard to stay motivated to keep this goal up. I may have to start taking the bus that stops in front of my house and goes to the station.

Comments

Amanda said…
just come to USU and walk everywhere because you live in an apartment that has stupid double parking and people park behind you and you can't move your car unless you somehow are able to drive up onto the sidewalk and the spots next to you are empty. I think campus is about as far from where I live as it is for you to walk to the trax station, except up a massive hill regardless of what shortcuts i find through frat house backyards, I'm all sweaty from walking back and forth to campus a few times a day and then I get to take a cold shower since my gas is still not turned on. I love my life.

Popular Posts