and all that jazz.

Lately I've been having some regrets.

Two years ago, I auditioned for a vocal jazz ensemble at the U, directed by the amazing Kelly Eisenhower. I made it in, but unfortunately had a critical class that overlapped the rehearsal time, and so after one rehearsal I had to drop out.

Through that audition, I was put in contact with the talented and (in)famous Lloyd Miller. "Doc Miller," as he liked to be called, was eccentric, but offering a great opportunity for me to sing with him in various jazz combos. I tried it out, learning some new songs, and performed at a 50 year high school reunion, an afternoon set at Wild Oats (for FREE), and finally at a New Years Eve gig at a swanky restaurant in Park City. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience at the last performance, and after he called me a few more times asking me to work for free, saying he couldn't otherwise afford a singer, I just stopped answering his calls. I know I couldn't (and can't) expect much, being a fairly inexperienced performer, but I felt like he treated me badly, at least worse than he should have.

Anyway, beyond singing in church I haven't really done much vocally since then. It makes me sad, since music and performing used to be such a big part of my life. I was in one choir or another for something like nine years until I started college.

Since I've been regretting letting that opportunity go, despite my feelings of being mistreated, I thought maybe this year I'd try out for the jazz ensemble again, since my schedule would permit it. I got online, and couldn't find it anywhere. The only thing I can figure is that Kelly Eisenhower is no longer at the U, but only doing the Jazz Ensemble at BYU. This is the first and only time I wish I went there, just so I could be in her group. (*Insert long sigh here.*)

I guess I'll just have to figure something else out. If anyone knows a jazz combo in need of a singer, or of any other opportunities, I would love to hear about them.

Comments

Popular Posts