our morning routine


Poor Andrew.

He works nights every other month. I wake up between 5:00 and 5:30 am Monday through Thursday to go to work. This means that he is in the middle of his REM sleep right when I am bumbling around, trying to get dressed. This also means that while I am trying to get dressed (which, let's be honest, sometimes involves multiple outfit changes, and is especially difficult in this ninth month of pregnancy) the lights are off and it is really quite dark. I turn on a lamp, with a scarf draped over the shade acting as a "dimmer."

Bad for both of us, but I think worse for him.

Today was especially bad. I tried on three different red maternity shirts that were handed down to me, trying to find something appropriate for work and the Christmas Party tonight, none of which worked.I then emptied an entire drawer of pants looking for my black maternity slacks, which have been lost for probably a month. I did not find them.

Poor, poor Andrew, had to put up with my racket and the lamplight for a long time, and I finally settled on an olive green dress, black cardigan, black tights and boots.

I almost died trying to put on the tights. Seriously, an excruciating, sharp, shooting pain in my left leg when I stood on my left foot to put on the right leg of tights (normally just a constant but slight twinge, mostly when I stand up or walk). In my imagination the pain goes away instantly when I have baby girl. That happens, right? In the meantime, I may not be able to wear pants, socks, or shoes that are not slip-ons for the next two weeks, or anything that requires standing on one foot to put on. And I'll be groaning and limping the rest of the day.

Oh, and I also thought for sure I was in early labor last night. First hours of sleep were even restless. But I did sleep, and when I woke up today, nothing. So disappointing.

Comments

Popular Posts