how i did it.


March, 2009


October, 2009

I've had a request for how A and I have lost the weight we have, so here it is. I feel sort of bad, like I've been rubbing in this small feat all over this blog and facebook. So for that, I am sorry.

I'm going to talk about my story. I have lost a total of 14 lbs. A has lost 35 lbs, but he exercises vigorously for 45 minutes, 6 days a week.

Here are some things that worked in my favor, so hopefully people who have different circumstances won't feel discouraged with different results:

1: I'm only just shy of 21, so my metabolism hasn't gone off the deep end yet. I am fully expecting this to happen someday, maybe even soon.

2: I haven't had any children. I think this made a big difference.

3: I wasn't eating very healthily before, or at least avoiding unhealthy things, so that small change made a big difference.

4: My total weight loss goal was fairly small, it started with just wanting to lose about 13 lbs, but then once I lost that, 5 more didn't seem too difficult. (In other words, I didn't have that much to lose, which I think made it easier.)


Here's another big secret: Exercise didn't do it for me.
I tried it at first, but grew impatient and quit. I do walk around campus at a brisk pace for about 20 minutes a day, and sometimes ride my bike, but that is about it.

So now you know what I didn't do, here are the things I did do:

Secret #1: Figure out what food is "worth."

I started with a calorie counter, recommended to me by my sister-in-law. Here's the one I used. I also initially tried to eat 6 small meals a day, instead of 3 large ones. My theory was that I would be eating when hungry, not when it was dinner time. This only lasted a little, but the principle stuck, to only eat food when I felt hungry.

The calorie counter is beneficial, because even healthy things can be high in fat (like almonds), sugar (like grapes), and calories (like everything). I suggest try calculating a normal day for yourself, just to see what you are currently eating so you can know where to cut calories and what substitutes you can make. 3500 calories equals one pound, so if you decrease your caloric intake by 500 calories a day, you will lose a pound a week.

I don't use the calorie counter anymore, but it gave me a good idea of what food is "worth." It helped me decide portions better, and make better food decisions. For example, if you want to eat a quarter of a pan of brownies, that is your breakfast (and your lunch). Fill in the cracks with things with low food "worth" like fruits and vegetables.

Secret #2: Eat a lot of fiber.

Another thing that I have tried to do is increase my fiber intake. For breakfast, I measure a quarter cup of oatmeal, quarter cup water, quarter cup blueberries, and half a banana mashed into a bowl. Microwave it for 2 minutes, sprinkle with a scoop of milled flax and add a small glug of milk for creaminess. This is what I try to eat ever day, with either a small glass of OJ or skim milk. Flax can be added to baked goods, and used as a substitute for eggs or oil.

I also try to get fiber from fruits and vegetables, and from whole wheat any and everything. You will notice some changes the next time you site on the porcelain throne, but just remember that when you lose fat, it has to go somewhere, and that is where your body gets rid of it.

Secret #3: If you don't buy or make treats, you won't eat treats.

Stop making cookies/brownies/cake/anything bad for you! Don't buy candy or treats unless they are good-ish for you. Examples are rice cakes, redvines, skinny cows, healthy choice bars, frozen yogurt, and fat free sugar free pudding. Adapt recipes you want to indulge in by using whole wheat flour, adding oats, subbing applesauce for oil, flax for eggs, add nuts, etc. Share your treats, if you can't stop eating them, give them away.

Secret #4: My list of what not to buy.

I say what not to buy, because I did consume some of these foods, usually at family dinners and other such occasions. However, most of my friends and family now know that A and I are trying to eat healthily, so they are very accommodating. Anyway, here's the list:

-Red meat, unless fat free (like fat free beef franks, which I likes, I do not)
-Ice cream (Look for frozen yogurt)
-Cheese (costco has a jarlsburg that is super lowfat. you can also get fat free american cheese, which I do not like.
-Butter (we use the alternative brummel and brown yogurt blend spread or olive or coconut oil, which is supposed to get rid of belly fat.)
-White flour (go all wheat, all the way.)
-Sugar (use agave or honey when possible)
-Anything fried

Secret #5: Check labels!

You would be surprised at what junk is in some of the things we eat regularly without a thought. Did you know a lot of cake mixes have trans fat? Yuck! Compare labels, because some say reduced fat but still have more than another brand. Always go for the fat free option, because pretty soon you'll forget what the real thing tastes like and you won't even care anymore. Be sure to look at serving size too, since often one package is not the same thing as one serving.

Secret #6: Check out your options.

Look for a low fat alternative to your favorite food or recipe. I really like America's Test Kitchen Best Light Recipes, they have a great chicken parm. Another good book is Eat This, Not That.

Secret #7: Indulge a bit.

It's okay to indulge sometimes. If you don't, you'll feel deprived and binge. Like I said before, if you're going to add calories somewhere, look where you can remove them elsewhere. Just remember, moderation in all things!


Other random stuff:

We try to eat fish twice a week. We also eat vegetarian a few meals a week as well. Keep frozen veggies and chicken on hand at all times. Eat brown rice. White rice is the candy of grains. Eat quinoa too. It is a grain and a protein! Eat in, restaurants can be deceiving. When you do eat out, look at a menu ahead of time and scope out the food "worth" online.

Comments

Chelsea said…
What's quinoa? So you don't even do the elliptical at all now?
Marta Nielsen said…
It is similar to rice, and cuscus, but like I said, a grain and a protein. My favorite is quinoa with black beans, A makes it and it is soooo good. I'll look for a recipe.

Currently our elliptical is broken. A is working hard to fix it. (Truth be told, even when it was functional I wasn't using it!)
Anonymous said…
I like you blog very much.

Popular Posts