toast is the new cupcake



Have you heard about this? Apparently gourmet toast is all the rage in big cities like San Francisco. I heard about it on NPR, so it must be true (though now I can't find the story, so you'll just have to take my word for it).

I'm a toast fan, myself. My dad eats toast for breakfast every day, slathered with creamed honey and topped with slices of mild cheddar cheese. As a kid I'd sometimes join him, with jam instead of honey (I'm allergic).

I don't go for the toast-with-honey-and-cheese much these days, but have come up with my own toast concoction that is quite good. And it is easy. And quick.

Here's what you need: good, wheaty bread, peanut or almond butter, fresh fruit, and chia seeds.

Here's what you do: toast the bread, top with nut butter and sliced fruit, sprinkle with chia seeds.

See what I mean? So easy. I like it best with strawberries or fresh blueberries, but in a pinch banana is pretty good too.

Now if you're looking to try gourmet toast, head over to Gourmandise Bakery in downtown SLC for their cinnamon bread sensationale. Think french toast, without the egg/milk mixture. Just buttered and grilled. It is sinfully good. Oh, and for the record, toasted brioche bread is mighty good as well.

Comments

Popular Posts