chocolate peep pops



I don't know about you, but I've never been a fan of peeps. I think my mom told me they were gross, and we never got them in our Easter baskets. But, they are pretty adorable. Who can resist little bunnies and chicks in soft pastel colors?

Then I saw this on Pinterest. I needed to make a treat for the class I teach at church, and so I thought I'd give it a go. Results? They are adorable, and I must admit, pretty delicious, and that's coming from a non-peeper.



My improvised drying rack.


Packaged and ready to give away!


Supplies Needed:

  • 1 package of bunny Peeps (there are 12 per package)
  • bamboo skewers (I used small ones, about 6" long, sucker sticks would also work)
  • chocolate of choice* (I used Wilton Candy Dips milk chocolate, and grocery store almond bark)
  • colander and mixing bowl that will nest inside (for drying dipped bunnies)
  • candy pearls 

Assembly Instructions:

Melt chocolate per package instructions. I suggest using candy melts made specifically for dipping or candy. Though not as rich as, they won't burn as easily and won't bloom like regular chocolate.

Meanwhile, set up your drying rack. You could use a piece of styrofoam, and just stick the end of the skewers into it so that the chocolate can dry upright. I didn't have any, so instead turned a colander upside-down, with a slightly smaller bowl overturned underneath, and stuck the dipped peeps through the holes (resting on the bowl inside so they didn't go all the way through to the counter). 

Push the skewer into the peep so that you can feel the point between the ears. You want it in there far enough that the bunny will be stable for dipping.

Dip peep into the melted chocolate, coating all sides, and then lightly tap skewer on the edge of the container so that any excess chocolate drips off. Carefully set it in the colander drying rack, and add a little candy pear for a tail. I found the lower I placed the tails, the better they looked.

Once they are completely dry, you can package (or gobble) them up.


Comments

Popular Posts