Wednesday, September 9, 2009

American Falls and Round Fries

Yesterday I went on my first business trip, ever. I was pretty excited about it. We went to American Falls, Idaho, which is about 20 minutes outside of Pocatello. We were supposed to leave the office at 5:45 a.m., so I was going to have to leave my house at 5:00. Well, I woke up at 3:30 a.m., then slept through my 4:00 alarm not to awaken till 5:18 a.m., at which point I jumped out of bed, showered as fast as I could, but left my hair dirty in a ponytail, threw on some clothes, and left. I got out into my car, turned it on, and the gas light was on. I ran back inside, asked the sleeping A if I could take his truck, to which he sleepily agreed, adding that he hoped he wouldn't need anything from it that day. I hurried all the way from Murray to Kaysville, a trip that takes 45 minutes. I think I made it there around 6:05 or so. Luckily my boss had been getting things together and wasn't all the way ready to leave when I got there anyway.

So when we reached American Falls, we met with some city staff, the mayor, and a councilmember. After our meeting and getting some lunch at Lucky's, the local diner, we then went on a walk through town. (For lunch I had a chicken ranch pita with round fries, which are like cottage fries.) I'll have to post some pictures later, since I don't have any on my computer. In the future, when I don't have an impending 6 page paper on Descartes to (put off) write, I'll give some details on American Falls, its history, current condition, and ideas I have for what would make it great.

After our walk through, we went back to Lucky's and did some brainstorming over dinner and ice cream before heading back to city hall to meet with a citizen's advisory committee dedicated to Downtown American Falls. (For dinner I had spaghetti and meatballs, with a garlic pita. Dessert was rocky road on a sugar cone. I'm still thinking about that sugar cone.)That meeting went really well, and we discovered some good ideas among the people there. Like I said, when I have more time, I'll post more details for those interested.

The meeting ended around 8:30 p.m., at which point we headed home. I rode with my boss in her snazzy BMW convertible, and we munched on licorice and chatted to stay awake for the 3+ hour drive. I got home around midnight or so, very tired from a long day. The whole day my pants had been falling down, perhaps the only pitfall of having lost some weight, plus got a little sunburn on my neck, and then it was chilly the whole day, inside and outside, and I hadn't brought a jacket. I mostly just felt ill prepared since I had overslept so much. I'm also a bit concerned I have a blood clot from sitting so much, but I'm not sure. Other that that, the trip was great. I can't wait to post about the project!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...