no results, no motivation.

So A and I have been doing this crazy diet/workout schedule for the past three months that goes like this:

Workout 4-6 days per week, at least 20 minutes. 40 is better. This is usually on the elliptical.

Eat a heart-healthy serving of oatmeal (3/4 cup dry) every morning with berries, honey/agave, a scoop of milled flax, and some milk. An alternate is 2 T all natural unsalted peanut butter, sliced banana, honey/agave, flax, and milk.

For lunch and dinner, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, very little or no saturated fat, and for protein either beans, tofu, chicken, or turkey.

Lunch example: leftover veggie pizza on whole wheat crust, on it would be spinach, yellow squash, green peppers, mushrooms, red onions. On the side, carrots and cucumber with hummus, watermelon, an apple, grapes, and some raw unsalted almonds.

Dinner example: grilled chicken and vegetables, and brown rice. Green beans/zuccini cooked in no-sodium chicken broth are also delicious, which I learned from my awesome sister-in-law.

So, this sounds pretty healthy, right? Dessert is either a few bites of Soy Delicious ice cream, or a few fat-free redvines. Occasionally we go to Roxberry and get some all-fruit smoothies. We no longer binge on extreme moosetracks ice cream, or go out for wings every other week. We don't really eat fatty frozen food, and our cheese intake has significantly decreased. We check the labels on everything. On top of that, we actually exercise, while before we never did.

Results? A has lost 20+ pounds. (Who knew he had 20 pounds to lose?) I lost 3 pounds, then gained them back, and have lost another 2. TWO POUNDS! This is very frustrating, my friends. It is very hard to be motivated to keep eating my weight in oatmeal and exercise in pretty much the only time I have after work and dinner before bed. I need some real results, so I'm thinking of doing this. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Comments

Lampwik said…
I heard you're working out on an eliptical machine. I don't like elipticals because they neither require the user to lift his or her own weight, nor do they require a constant pace. I suggest running outside or on a treadmill for at least two of your weekly workouts. Your new bike can also help, but make sure you're climbing a lot of hills.
alyddall said…
I go to a class at the rec center that looks a lot like that circuit class. At least I recognize most of the exercises and equipment. I highly recommend either. It will not help you loose weight, BUT you should measure yourself (waist, hips, upper arms, thighs) when you start and do it again after a month because it will tone you up. Just muscle is heavier. I bet your elliptical training has done that too. The Murray Rec Center one costs $3.50 (if you buy a sheet of 10 tickets, or $4.00 for just one time, I think) and is on Fridays from 9:30 to 10:30 if you could swing that.

One other tool that works for me when I am devoted enough to do it is this: http://my-calorie-counter.everydayhealth.com/Journal.asp you have to make an account, but it is free. You might be surprised at how many calories you are taking in, even if they are healthy ones. I am surprised, every time I do it. I was religious about tracking calories and exercise this way in between Peter & Jonathan and lost 20 pounds. Sadly haven't managed that level of commitment this time yet, but still working on it.

Don't give up! You guys are inspirational for the rest of us.
Unknown said…
You may not need to eat the same amount of food Andrew does. Portion sizes can really mess you up. A calorie counter site like the one Alli recommended might help you determine what you really need to be eating. Another good one is sparkpeople.com.

Also, yes, try running. You can start as small as you need to at first - I started by walking on a treadmill at 4 mph for 5 minutes, then jogging at 4.5 for 1 minute. (Please don't laugh, I know that is kind of pathetic!) Now I can run for 10 minutes and walk for 1-2, for a 60 minute workout, and my top speed is 6 mph instead of 4.5! It really makes you feel strong! (I am not really skinnier but I am definitely stronger!) Get some good shoes and go!

AND - don't be discouraged about Andrew's quick loss. I hear from lots of women that it seems to be easier for their husbands to drop pounds than it is for them. I suspect there is an evolution-related explanation - maybe something like this: Your body has a higher-stakes reason to be prepared for famine (i.e. it's possible for you to become pregnant). And if you are using a hormone-based birth control method, that makes it harder, too - they essentially make your body think you're pregnant so of course it's not in the mood to drop pounds!
alyddall said…
I second the part about good shoes. I nearly ruined one knee trying running without some. If you don't have any already - go over to "Ossine's" on Redwood about 78th S. They will watch you run/walk and try on different shoes. The ones I bought then with the arch support insoles were revolutionary for me.

Popular Posts