Random

I went to The Dark Knight on the 24th of July (happy pioneer day!) and yesterday, I went to a municipal forestry luncheon. Did you know that communities with more trees have less crime? Have you noticed that Gotham City has NO TREES?!

A has decided he likes the name Eloise, or Eloisa. This is good for me, since for Christmas in 1999 my brother J gave me the great children's book Eloise, written by Kay Thompson and illustrated by Hilary Knight,and I've loved everything about it since (who wouldn't want a pug named Weenie, to live in the plaza hotel, to use the word botto, and to wear an egg cup as a hat?)

Anyone want some zuccini or cucumbers? We've got produce coming out of our ears. Here's one of the things I've done with it...

Fried Zuccini:
1 overgrown zuccini, ask your neighbor if you don't have your own. Mine was 2-3 inches in diameter.
flour
1 egg, beaten
1 package Ritz Crackers
Shredded Parmesan
Garlic Salt
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Butter
Olive Oil


Cut the zuccini into 1/4 inch slices. Dip in flour, then egg, then a mixure of the Ritz crackers crushed up and the parmesan. Then sprinkle with the salts and pepper. Once all your zucc has been breaded, heat up butter and olive oil in a frying pan (I just estimated). Once it is hot, which you can test by flicking a few drops of water in it and seeing if it sizzles, decrease the heat to medium-medium low, and add the squash. I just cooked until they were golden on both sides, and you want to keep the heat around medium or lower so that the squash gets cooked all the way through. These were yummy, even A liked them.

Comments

alyddall said…
I will continue to volunteer for zukes, and cucumbers too (but not so many) if you have extra! I still fail to find a sunny enough part of my yard to grow zucchini and this year's one died like all the others. :-(

One way I like to use them is to dice it up small & fry in olive oil, with some deli turky thrown in if I have some. Then put it on a plate and use the hot pan to scramble an egg or two. Add salsa, or cheese, or whatever you like and eat this for breakfast. Yum!

Thanks again for the zukes you guys brought the other day.
:-) Ali

Popular Posts