Birthday Cake Ice Cream

Andrew is a cake batter ice cream fan. So when I saw a no-churn recipe for cake batter ice cream on Studio 5, I just had to give it a try. Their recipe combines whipped cream, sweetened condensed milk, cake mix, and melted butter. The flavor was spot on, but the texture was lacking. I'd even call it weird. It didn't melt like normal ice cream, but instead turned sticky and gooey and gross.

But I didn't give up on homemade cake batter ice cream. Next I tried making Ben & Jerry's sweet cream base, stirring in 1 cup cake mix and 2 tablespoons melted butter. I churned it in my little countertop ice cream maker, and it was delicious! It did have some little lumps of cake mix, which Andrew claimed he liked.

But I knew I could do better. I switched up the order of the ingredients, and the lumps disappeared. It turned out perfectly smooth and creamy and delicious. So here it is, the ultimate homemade cake batter ice cream recipe with an optional birthday cake upgrade, which I made for Andrew's birthday last Sunday.


The Ultimate Cake Batter Ice Cream Recipe


1 egg
3/4 cups sugar
2 T butter, melted
1 cup yellow cake mix*
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk (I used 2%)

In a large bowl, beat egg until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar, and continue mixing until well combined. Add melted butter and cake mix. Mix well, eliminating all lumps. Add heavy cream and milk, stirring until combined.

Freeze ice cream according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Try not to eat too much straight out of the machine, which will be difficult, because it will be amazingly smooth and delicious and irresistible.

Birthday Cake Upgrade


1 cake mix, plus ingredients needed to bake
colorful sprinkles (if you use the sprinkles from the ice cream isle, the color won't bleed)

Bake cake mix as directed on box. I used a yellow cake mix, and baked cupcakes to decrease baking time. You could certainly bake a from-scratch cake. I'm pro-from scratch cake, but not anti-cake mix.

Break up 6-12 cupcakes. I used two forks to achieve a small-medium crumb. When ice cream is finished freezing and churning, scoop enough into a tupperware to cover the bottom of the container. Layer some of your crumbled cake over the ice cream, and sprinkles if you want (I only put sprinkles on the top of mine). Continue to layer ice cream and cake, finishing with cake and sprinkles on the top. I froze mine overnight, and it was reminiscent of ice cream cake (yum!). And, the husband approved.


*I found that one cake mix is enough to make this recipe 4 times (4 cups of mix/box).

Comments

Popular Posts